One of the healthiest and tastiest fruits have to be the blueberries. The best thing about them is that they are so versatile that you can eat them raw, you can add them to pies, smoothies, or you can just make a juice out of them.
Also, blueberries can offer many health benefits, like:
- They are rich in nutrients and low in calories. One cup of them will provide you with 3.6 grams of dietary fiber, 24% of the daily amount of vitamin C you need and 36% of vitamin K.
- They prevent blood cholesterol damage.
- Another thing that they are good for is reducing blood pressure and lowering cardiovascular risk factors. There was a study that showed that if you consume 50 grams a day for 8 weeks you can drop the blood pressure by 4-6%.
- Plus, they protect the function of the brain and they will prevent memory loss and this is all because they have high antioxidant content.
- Other benefits they offer due to the antioxidant content are prevention of aging, damage to the DNA and cancer. One study has also shown that if you consume blueberry juice it will lower the effect of DNA damage by 20%.
Therefore, it is always a good idea to have them at home. And now, you can. We will show you how you can grow them from the comfort of your own home.
How to Grow Blueberries at Home
Find the Proper Place
You need to find the perfect place for your blueberries to grow. This is because they need soil that is of high quality and a lot of sunlight. The sunlight will provide the great conditions for photosynthesis, and this is very important for the growth of the blueberries. If you have a garden, you can use raised beds. This way the water will run through the soil and it will moist them. However, if you live in a flat, you can buy a patio container.
The bush of the blueberries needs 6 feet of space to expand. Thus, if you grow more of them, they need to be 2.5 to 3 feet distant from one another.
The Planting Process
The best time for planting blueberries is in fall or spring. Just ruffle the roots with the lands and put them in soil. Then, add more soil around them and pat down the top soil layer. Finally, water it so that it can hydrate. The soil has to be drained well. The perfect soil here would be acidic, with 5.0 ph value.
You need to use sawdust for the best effects. However, you can also use pine bark, rind mulch, acid trip or grass clipping. Just apply 2-4 wreaths to preserve the moisture of the soil and prevent the weeds from growing. Repeat this process once a year and use rinds or sawdust from cedar or redwood tree.
Once the bush starts to grow, you need to begin the pruning and do it regularly. This will help the branches to grow and there will be healthy growth of the plant. Also, this way there will be no over-fruiting and the fruits will remain large. When they start to appear, you need to detach most of the flower blooms. Use small scissors to remove the branches.
Also, bear in mind that you need to eliminate the low growths around the bottom of the bush, clean the dead wood and chop away the short or discolored branches and clear a half or a third of the wood of it.
If you want to prevent the bushes from damage, you need to use organic fertilizers. Also, do the fertilization for a longer time and use fertilizers that are non-toxic.
Then, when it comes to the time, you should pick the early spring season for it. This is when the leaves are breaking from dormancy. Do it again after the process of pruning.
If you do the process like this, the bushes will live and produce for 4-5 decades. Also, you can plant different fruits for cross pollination to boost the yield.
If you have been looking into ways to help you grow blueberry bushes at home this is the way to go. You will enjoy all the benefits of this fruit.